29 May 2012

Little Pond Gardens : A play idea


This afternoon I had an extra little girl to look after. She is four and the daughter of dear friends of ours from Darwin. She gets along beautifully with both Goosey and Tiger, so I needed an activity to keep the girls and the boy entertained. They had a lot of fun making little pond gardens.


I gave them each a plastic plate and they got busy.


They collected dirt, rocks, twigs, leaves, weeds and moss.


The moss was a lucky find hidden under weeds on our clay soil!


 It was fun to observe how and where each of them chose to place their items.


I made the ponds using a peanut butter lid (as a mould) and aluminium foil. We added a few drops of food colouring to the water.


Sometime after I took these photos, we cut flat leaves into lilly pad shapes and put them on the water.
It turned out to be a really fun afternoon activity.

Many thanks to Jess and Anna for having me today.
signature 4

20 comments:

Rhianna said...

What a fantastic idea! Will definitely be giving this one a go soon. Thank you for sharing.

Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses #teamIBOT

Zoe said...

I remember doing this when I was little with tiny dinosaurs :)

Jess@Diary of a SAHM said...

This is a great idea! My kids would love doing something like this! Thanks for linking such a great idea!

Natalie said...

I used to make gardens in small wooden boxes on the verandah of my great aunt's house during the school holidays :) I loved them and spent so much time thinking up new ways to decorate them.

This is wonderful :)

Pink Ronnie said...

What an awesome idea, I have to remember this one for when our boys are a little older.
Ronnie xo

Katie said...

Thanks Rhianna x

Katie said...

Sounds fun Natalie. I think we'll be doing these again too.

Katie said...

My boy is dinosaur mad! I'll put the idea to him, something tells me we'll be adding some :)

mommyhoodfromtheheart said...

This is beautiful! What a great idea. Love the pictures. Looks very life-like. Saw your post on the Imagination Tree.
-Ana xo

Crafting Play said...

What a great idea to use dinosaurs too!

Crafting Play said...

This looks really fun (even for an adult!) Thanks for sharing ;)

Amelia Mello, M. Ed. said...

Hi Katie, This is such an adorable idea! So creative and there is no end to it just the children's imagination. Thanks for sharing. I saw your idea on The Imagination Tree but now I am your new follower.

Katie said...

Thanks for hosting IBOT - such a friendly linky!

Katie said...

Yes depending on their own personality, and with a little more direction, a two year old might just manage this x

Katie said...

Ana, I didn't realise I'd been featured until your comment. Thanks so much x

Katie said...

Thanks, maybe I'll make one too next time - could be quite therapeutic :)

Katie said...

Thanks Amelia, it was fun seeing how their minds work as they created their gardens. I'll pop over and visit you shortly x

Maxabella said...

Its like a terrarium for kids! Fairies will e moving in any day now. x

Anonymous said...

I work with 4-H cloverbuds (ages 5-8) we are having a fairy garden party, I plan on using this idea as a fairy garden. Thanks!

Olivia said...

I did this last year with my little girl. We use a big flower pot and turned it into a little fairy garden complete with a paddle pop stick tennis court and pool.....clearly a wealthy fairy.
I'm glad to have stumbled upon your blog, i'll be back x

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day x.